Mental Health America’s Live Your Life Well campaign offers 10 useful tips for living a full, enjoyable life:
- Connect with others.Spend more time with family members and friends, and develop new relationships by taking classes, doing volunteer work or joining a club that interests you.
- Stay positive.Learn to avoid negative thought patterns and focus on feeling grateful for the positive things in your life.
- Be physically active. Strive for 30 minutes of daily moderate aerobic activity, and squeeze in additional exercise by playing with your children or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Help others.In addition to looking for volunteer opportunities, do little things like smiling at a stranger or holding the elevator for a co-worker.
- Get enough sleep.Being tired and having low energy affects every aspect of your life.
- Create joy and satisfaction.Read humorous books, do something you enjoyed as a child or treat yourself to a massage.
- Eat well.Choose a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins, while minimizing saturated fats, salt and added sugars.
- Take care of your spirit. Join a religious institution, pray regularly or learn to meditate. Look for the good in yourself and others.
- Deal better with hard times.When you have an upsetting experience, try writing about it to organize your thoughts. When faced with a problem, make a list of possible solutions and consider the merits of each.
- Get professional help if you need it.Visit our resource section to explore helpful resources in your community.
Pursuing overall wellness can help people cope with mental health challenges and is a vital part in the road to recovery. Speak Up. Ask for help and get on the path to true wellness.